Total Pageviews

Monday 23 January 2012

132/365 - Because I was Once a Child (Madeleine L'Engle)


“I am still every age that I have been. 

Because I was once a child, 
I am always a child. 

Because I was once a searching adolescent, 
given to moods and ecstasies, 
these are still part of me, and always will be... 

This does not mean that I ought to be trapped 
or enclosed in any of these ages...
the delayed adolescent, 
the childish adult, 
but that they are in me to be drawn on; 
to forget is a form of suicide... 

Far too many people misunderstand 
what *putting away childish things* means,
and think that forgetting what it is like 
to think and feel 
and touch and smell 
and taste and see 
and hear like a three-year-old 
or a thirteen-year-old 
or a twenty-three-year-old 
means being grownup. 

When I'm with these people I, 
like the kids, 
feel that if this is what it means to be a grown-up, 
then I don't ever want to be one. 

Instead of which, 
if I can retain a child's awareness and joy, 
and *be* fifty-one, 
then I will really learn what it means to be grownup.” 

-  Madeleine L'Engle
(A Wrinkle in Time)


No comments:

Post a Comment